ARLIS/NA Ontario, a chapter of ARLIS/NA, annually awards a conference travel award to a chapter member. The grant is intended to promote professional development among chapter members and to encourage their involvement in ARLIS/NA by defraying the expense of attending ARLIS/NA’s annual conference.
The amount of the award will vary from year to year, depending on funds raised. At a minimum, the award should cover the basic conference registration fee. There is no maximum amount for any single award or for any year’s total of awards.
Anyone may apply for the grant. Students, new professionals who have never attended the ARLIS/NA annual conference, ARLIS/NA Ontario members, and those who will be participating directly in conference sessions or who currently volunteer on an ARLIS/NA committee, are especially encouraged to apply for the grant. The successful applicant will write a brief post-conference report (1-2 pages) for the chapter’s web site detailing conference activities and experiences, and a report of ARLIS/NA involvement where applicable (see below for examples from past winners). Chapter members who have previously received an ARLIS/NA Ontario travel award or grant are free to apply again. If no suitable applications are received, or fundraising does not meet the annual target, the grant will not be awarded.
- Financial need
- Evidence of professional activity in the chapter or in ARLIS/NA
- Potential for service in ARLIS/NA
The Travel Award Committee welcomes applications from members who plan to attend the ARLIS/NA conference in New York, February 25 – March 1, 2018. This year’s award will be worth $750 CDN.
To apply for the award, please submit:
- A letter of application indicating the conference for which you seek funding and addressing relevant eligibility, financial need (if applicable) and other award criteria. The application should include brief descriptions of your professional interests, your expectations of the conference, and its relevance to your professional development.
- An estimate of your conference expenses and amount of any institutional funding.
- A one-page resume listing your employment history, educational background, and professional activities. Include your preferred mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Deadline for Applications is December 15, 2017.
Submit applications electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports by past members:
- 2017 – Award not given
- 2016 Report – Angelique Roy
- 2015 – Eva Athanasiu
- 2012 – Award not given
- 2009 – Award not given
- 2008 Report – Alison Pattern
- 2006 Report – Heather Saunders
- 2006 Report – Catherine Spence
- 2006 Report – Randall Speller
- 2005 Report – Irene Puchalski
- 2004 Report – Margaret English, Karen McKenzie
- 2002 Report – Daniel Payne