Article I. Name.
The name of this organization shall be ARLIS/NA Ontario, hereafter referred to as the Chapter.
Article II. Purpose.
The purpose of the Chapter shall be to support and promote the purposes of ARLIS/NA and to facilitate communication and cooperation among librarians and others in Ontario who share a mutual interest in the arts, including but not limited to art, architecture, media, photography, and design libraries, archives and visual resources collections.
Article III. Membership.
A. Eligibility. Membership is open to all members of ARLIS/NA.
1. Dues shall be proposed by the Executive Committee and shall be ratified by a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote.
2. Dues shall be paid to the Treasurer.
3. The chapter shall have the right to propose additional fees for specified projects subject to the approval of the membership.
1. Only members of the Chapter may vote, hold elective office, serve on committees, and participate in all Chapter activities.
2. All members shall be entitled to receive announcements of Chapter meetings and minutes and other notices of general interest to the membership.
Article IV. Officers.
A. The membership may determine the Officers and their duties. The elected officers of the Chapter shall be the Chair, the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, the Secretary, the Treasurer, and the Student Representative.
B. Qualifications for office:
Any member may hold office and must file in writing an acceptance of the nomination with the nominating committee.
C. Terms of office
The term of office of the Chair shall be one (1) calendar year in that office, and the succeeding one (1) calendar year as Immediate Past Chair.
D. Duties of officers
1. The Chair shall be the chief executive officer of the Chapter and its representative on official business.
2. The Chair shall be a member ex-officio of all special project committees of the Chapter.
3. The Chair shall prepare the annual report for ARLIS/NA and other reports as required.
4. The Chair shall submit the Executive Committee’s recommendations for special projects for the approval of the membership.
5. The Chair shall be the Liaison to Visual Resources Association Canada, ARLIS/NA Canadian Member-at-Large, and ARLIS/NA as required.
2. Vice-Chair (Chair-Elect)
1. The Vice-Chair shall perform the duties of the Chair in case of the Chair’s inability to serve.
2. The Vice-Chair shall be the Program Chair.
3. The Vice-Chair may be assigned other duties by the Chair of the Executive Committee
1. The Secretary shall keep the Minutes of the Chapter and Executive meetings and perform any other duties as required in the office.
2. The Secretary shall forward the Minutes to ARLIS/NA in consultation with ARLIS/NA Canadian Member-at-Large.
1. The Treasurer shall maintain all financial records of the Chapter and perform any other duties as required in the office.
2. The Treasurer shall oversee the membership list and address membership issues
3. The Treasurer shall forward financial records to ARLIS/NA as required
5. Student Representative
1. The Student Representative shall promote the Chapter to students.
2. The Student Representative Shall be the Liaison to students.
Article V. Nominations and Elections.
A. Nominating Committee and process
1. The Chair shall appoint a Nominating Committee of three (3) members. The committee shall present a slate of qualified candidates at least four (4) weeks prior to the annual Chapter business meeting.
2. Additional nominations may be made at the business meeting by the membership providing the qualified candidate is in attendance.
3. No member may serve consecutive terms on the Nominating Committee. Current Executive Committee members are not eligible to serve.
Officers shall be elected by a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote. The Nominating Committee will be responsible for running the election, tabulating the results, and informing the members.
Article VI. Executive Committee.
A. The elected officers and the immediate past Chair of the Chapter shall constitute the Executive Committee.
The Immediate Past Chair shall provide general continuity and historical perspective for Chapter Executives
B. Meetings of the Executive Committee may be called by the Chair or by written petition of no less than three (3) members of the Chapter. At Executive Committee meetings only members of the Committee shall have voting privileges.
1. The Executive Committee shall act for the Chapter in the intervals between meetings.
2. The Executive Committee may propose special projects to be approved by the membership.
3. The Executive Committee shall prepare an annual dues schedule for approval by member vote.
4. The Executive Committee shall fill any vacancies which may occur.
Article VII. Meetings.
A. Meetings of the Chapter shall be called by the Chair.
B. There shall be at least two (2) meetings each year.
1. The annual business meeting shall be the meeting preceding the ARLIS/NA Conference. The business/dues/report year shall be the calendar year, January 1 – December 31.
2. Announcement of meetings, prepared by the Chair in consultation with the Vice-Chair shall be sent to the members by the Secretary by mail at least four (4) weeks prior to the meeting.
3. Members may invite guests to meetings and encourage them to become members.
Article VIII. Reports.
A. Annual reports of the Chapter shall be prepared by the Chair after receipt of written reports by the Vice-Chair and the Treasurer. The report shall follow the guidelines set up by the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA.
B. The Chair is responsible for writing reports of Chapter meetings and sending them to the Chapters Liaison.
Article IX. Special Committees
A. Special committees or projects may be proposed by the Chair, Executive Committee, or no less than five (5) members of the Chapter by petition in writing.
B. Special committees or projects shall be approved by a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote.
C. Each committee shall have a chair appointed by the Chair of the Chapter.
Article X. Affiliations
Affiliation with other organizations in Ontario shall be at the discretion of the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA and shall be in accordance with their guidelines.
Article XI. Amendments.
A. Amendments to the by-laws may be submitted to the Executive Committee in writing by voting members.
B. The proposed amendment shall be distributed to the voting membership at least four (4) weeks prior to a business meeting.
C. Approval through a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote and the approval of the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA shall be necessary to amend the by-laws.
D. The by-laws shall be reviewed at least every five (5) years or more frequently at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Article XII. Dissolution of the Chapter.
The dissolution of the Chapter shall follow the guidelines of ARLIS/NA.
Last Revised: April 2014